Filing procedures are seldom found in either traditional practice guides, or on the Web. Colleagues with experience in the area may be unavailable. Courts clerks are hard to reach.
When you need ready and reliable answers to procedure questions, turn to Marlene Hazlewood’s California Legal Secretary. Written specifically for those who have to quickly prepare and file legal documents, California Legal Secretary contains:
- Concise statements of procedure
- Completed forms
- Detailed completion and filing instructions
Hundreds of attorneys and paralegals own and rely on California Legal Secretary. They use the book to quickly find the specific nuts and bolts how-to information that is seldom found in traditional practice guides. Here, in one affordable book, are detailed procedures and model forms to speed and simplify your court filings and transactions:
1. Detailed procedures
Dozens of procedure checklists are provided, each cross-referenced to the applicable forms. You receive specific, step-by-step instructions:
- Content and format of pleadings, discovery documents, motions and briefs
- How to file all types of forms
- Service requirements
- Deadlines and fees
2. Model forms
Hundreds of completed forms are supplied – in both print and digital formats – for the most common types of litigation and transactions:
- California and federal civil litigation
- Family law
- Real property
- Wills and probate
Hundreds of Step-by-Step Guidelines
Written in plain English, with no confusing statutory language or legalese, the instructions are given in quick-reading outline format with no extra law to wade through—only the rules and procedures you need. The forms are completed so you know what to place where, and memory-prodding checklists keep you from omitting any key steps. California Legal Secretary will help you to:
- File suit against a public entity
- Commence an unlawful detainer action
- Execute disclosure and discovery documents
- Commence workers’ compensation proceedings
- And much, much more!
For a complete and comprehensive guide to California legal procedures, turn to California Legal Secretary. Find definitions, background information, step-by-step guidelines, statement of procedure and plenty of sample forms to help you file documents correctly the first time.
REVISION 27 HIGHLIGHTS
California Legal Secretary provides the specific how-to information that is seldom found in traditional practice guides. Here, in one affordable book, are detailed procedures and model forms to speed and simplify your court filings and transactions.
New to this edition:
Civil Proceedings Before Trial — Chapter 1
- Code of Civil Procedure sections 2030.210(d) and 2033.210(e) are added to authorize the
responding party to ask the propounding party to provide interrogatories and requests for
admissions in electronic format.
- Code of Civil Procedure section 2031.280 is amended to require that documents
produced in discovery be identified by the specific request number to which the
Civil Trial and Pre-Trial — Chapter 2
- California Rules of Court, rule 8.74 is amended to establish uniform formatting rules
for electronic documents filed in the appellate courts and to implement formatting
Landlord/Tenant — Chapter 7
- Civil Code section 1946.2 is added to provide that a landlord may not terminate the
tenancy without just cause if the tenant has lived in the residential dwelling for 12 months;
and the notice of termination must set forth the reason for the termination.
PLUS 21 UPDATED AND NEW SAMPLE FORMS