Take Command in the Courtroom
Are your objections ever overruled due to lack of specificity? Have you ever been too slow to object to inadmissible testimony? Do you waste valuable time poring through dense treatises just to see if a certain type of evidence is admissible? Do you struggle to find instant answers on evidence admissibility? Now there is help. Is It Admissible? by Ashley S. Lipson provides clear, concise, and supported answers to troublesome admissibility questions for virtually every type of evidence.
Designed for use on the eve of trial or at counsel’s table, Is It Admissible? provides everything you need for speedy and specific courtroom action:
- Direct “yes or no” admissibility answers for each type of evidence
- Quick explanation of the rule
- Pattern questions for laying foundations
- Admission strategies for the proponent
- Exclusion arguments for the opponent
- Model objection language, with responses
- Easy-to-follow explanations of the law
- Objectionable phrases to watch for, by type of evidence
- Evidentiary items organized alphabetically
- Color-coded tabs for quick-reference
- Detailed topical index and table of cases
- Over 1,200 case citations
- State and federal rules of evidence
- Coverage of civil and criminal law
- Strategies for admission and exclusion
- And much more!
The book is chock-full of novel arguments, proven strategies, and successful shortcuts. Veteran author and trial lawyer Ashley S. Lipson reveals:
- The four magic words that tell you how to propose and oppose every type of evidence.
- The 12 basic objections and when to use them.
- For each objection, short lists of trigger words indicating an objectionable question.
- Model objection language, with potential responses.
- A simple guide to admission of the average piece of evidence.
- The 10 ways to oppose ordinary business records.
Enhance Courtroom Effectiveness by Focusing on Evidence Type, Not Legal Theory
Busy attorneys want fast answers and solid principles without having to wade through pages of dense legal discussion. Is It Admissible? simplifies the confusion by taking a practical approach to admitting or opposing evidence. The book is organized by type of evidence rather than legal theory, which allows you to easily find supporting law. The succinct principles provide thorough answers to many courtroom questions without being verbose.
Find Answers On the Fly With Practical Four-Part Organization
Unlike other texts where topics are scattered, Is It Admissible? is organized according to the way lawyers visualize the subject matter. The book divides evidence into four basic types – Testimonial, Documentary, Real, and Demonstrative. The division is logical and economical since each type has its own rules of admissibility and foundation requirements. With a custom-made table of contents and structure for each section, you’ll never waste time locating the answers you need.
A-to-Z Index Covers Every Conceivable Type of Evidence
Is It Admissible? provides rapid access to information with its unique topical index. You’ll instantly find discussions of every conceivable type of evidence. For example, accident reports are discussed under “A,” DNA test results under “D,” scientific reports under “S,” and so forth. You’ll have all the ammunition needed to succeed at trial, arbitration or deposition.
REVISION 19 HIGHLIGHTS
This update to Ashley Lipson’s popular book will help you to quickly determine admissibility of
evidence. New case law has been added throughout the book, and the following sections are either new or modified:
Chapter 11 Speculative Questions
- 11.500 Experts and Existing Forms of Evidence
Chapter 21 Governmental Documents
- 21.500 Disavowed Reports
Chapter 22 Private Sector Business Records
- 22.436 Derived Records
- 22.437 Document Drafts
Chapter 25 Legal Documents
- 25.206 Contracts
Chapter 30 Basics of Real Evidence
- 30.300 Care and Handling
Chapter 36 On-Site Recordings
- 36.301 Surveillance Cameras
Chapter 44 Photographs, Slides, Films and Videos
- 44.200 Major Types of Photographic Evidence
- 44.301 Foundation Requirements
- 44.400 Films and Videotapes
Chapter 45 Audiotapes
- 45.200 Foundation Requirements
With this new edition, Is It Admissible? will continue to help you quickly answer evidentiary questions with:
- A quick explanation of the rule
- Strategies for admission and exclusion
- Pattern foundation questions
- Model objection language with responses
- State and federal statute and case citations