1,000’s of deposition questions are supported with strategy, law, practice tips, and thumbnail deposition outlines. Troublesome answers are annotated with commentary and follow-up questions. Covers auto accidents, premises liability, products liability, medical malpractice, employment discrimination and termination, and insurance coverage disputes.
Fast and Thorough Deposition Preparation
Creating an outline is the most efficient way of formalizing your preparation for a deposition.
Use the outlines and pattern questions in Deposition Checklists & Strategies to avoid omissions, improve your advocacy, and handle unfamiliar areas with confidence. You receive:
- Underlying law. Each chapter begins with a summary of the substantive law at issue. Also included is an analysis of common defenses.
- Deposition outlines. Each chapter contains several full-length deposition Q&A sections organized by issue, based on common fact patterns, and directed at specialized deponents like experts, corporate representatives, and treating physicians. The book’s questions are easy to mix and match with your own.
- Commentary. Thorny or common issues are annotated with practice-proven alternatives and solutions.
- Bonus outlines. Thumbnail checklists that contain themes and issues rather than question-and answer dialogue are provided for less-common deponents.
- Related discovery forms. Complaints, interrogatories, requests for admissions, requests to produce, and more finish each chapter.
- Practice tips. Sprinkled through each pattern deposition is practical advice learned from hundreds of depositions.
Each pattern deposition outline contains extensive questions and selected answers for the issues most likely to arise. Troublesome answers are annotated with commentary and follow-up questions. Here is an example of the subjects covered in one sample deposition:
Defendant Driver in Auto Case
- Thumbnail Outline with Issues and Themes
- Preliminary Questions
Witness’ Preparation for the Deposition
Witness’s Relationship to Other Parties and Witnesses
- The Collision
Events Leading Up to the Collision
After the Collision
Driving Experience and Licensure
- Defendant’s Condition on Day of Collision
Defendant’s Activities on the Day of the Collision
Estimates of Times
Alcohol and Drugs
- The Vehicles
Condition of the Deponent’s Vehicle Before the Collision
Condition of the Vehicles After the Collision
Lack of Damage as Evidence of Negligible Force
- Traffic Tickets and Plaintiff’s Negligence
Plaintiff’s Contributory Negligence
- Admissions, Witnesses, and Statements
All Witnesses to the Occurrence
Knowledge of Conversations
Informal Statements and Interviews
Conversations About the Accident or the Lawsuit
Photographs and Diagrams
REVISION 9 HIGHLIGHTS
Deposition Checklists and Strategies gives you thousands of deposition questions for crucial witnesses: treating physicians, corporate representatives, insurers, experts, defendants, and plaintiffs.
The most recent edition features–
A complete deposition of a corporate executive in a personal injury case against a pharmaceutical company. The focus is on the initial rollout of the product and whether the company downplayed the risks of the drug. The deposition demonstrates the benefits of careful witness preparation combined with strategic objections and the challenges for the questioning attorney of deposing an evasive witness.
And more than 20 new sections with practical tips on such topics as:
- Moving from open-ended questions to testimony suitable for impeachment.
- Depositions as a follow-up to written discovery.
- Discovering new facts.
- Questions designed to sweep up or close out a topic.
- Questions that make boundaries around previous answers.
- Establishing personal knowledge.
- Benefits of reading deposition transcripts.
- Discovering other witnesses.
- Follow-up questions.
- Using of leading questions in a deposition.
- Identifying documents in deposition questions.
- Bringing extra copies of deposition exhibits to the deposition.
- Preparing for expert depositions.
- Supplying the witness with information.