“Here is an extremely useful tool for practitioners engaging in various civil practice areas – concise and preresearched, it is a guide to over 90 causes of action, all in one desk top binder. The collected work of twenty-one litigation specialists and 100 practicing attorney advisors, California Causes of Action covers sixteen separate practice categories.” — Excerpted from California Journal of Law. No longer will you have to sift through opinion after opinion to find one that recites all the elements of a cause of action. California Causes of Action delivers both the elements and the supporting decisions, plus affirmative defenses, related causes of action, remedies, and statutes of limitations. Many of the causes of action are supported by full-text sample complaints in print and via Digital Access. This useful resource will help you draft pleadings, conduct discovery, marshal evidence, prepare jury instructions, make and respond to motions, and prepare appellate briefs for over 125 causes of action in 19 practice categories:
- Emotional Distress
- Physical Torts
- Procedural Torts
- Fraud and Negligent Misrepresentation
- Products Liability/Commercial Sales
- Debtor-Creditor: Fraudulent Transfers
- Business Torts and Actions
- Real Property Torts
- Real Estate Broker
- Contract Actions
- Defamation and Privacy
- Intellectual Property
- Animal Torts
- Construction Torts
- Governmental Tort Liability
- Wrongful Death/Survival Actions
California Causes of Action helps you avoid the cost, hassle, and risk of a demurrer by providing clear explanations of each element and annotated case notes—the clear framework with help you draft nearly invincible pleadings Drafting an answer or a cross complaint is also a breeze. With the detailed affirmative defenses for each cause of action, you’ll never second-guess the strength of your response again. Write with ease and confidence; write with California Causes of Action. California Causes of Action is not just a drafting tool to help you craft winning pleadings. It is an indispensable litigation tool you can use to ensure you have covered all the bases in your pre-suit investigation; in planning, preparing and responding to discovery; in drafting motions; and in preparing jury instructions. The new edition of California Causes of Action includes: 17 chapters updated with new and revised text, including 55 new citations to California cases. The chapter updates include expanded coverage of: Remedies for Negligence
- Compensatory damages;
- Emotional distress damages;
- Punitive damages; and
- Costs, fees and interest.
CCP §998 Offers to Compromise
- Multiple offers; and
- Post-trial costs, attorney’s fees, and pre-judgment interest.
- Assault and battery.
- Notice of Intent to Sue.
Primary Assumption of the Risk
- Availability to plaintiff as an affirmative defense to a counter-claim for damages in an elder or dependent-adult abuse case.
- Extended as a variant of the “firefighter’s rule” to veterinarians, nurse’s aides, and home health care workers.
- To defend;
- To indemnify;
- Of good faith and fair dealing.
- Completed and Accepted Doctrine – definition; authority; and form.
- Furnishing Alcoholic Beverages – providing alcohol to a minor.
3 new practice-proven sample Complaints
- Medical Malpractice; Medical Battery; Fraud
- Unruh Act; Wrongful Termination – Race/Gender Discrimination
- Wrongful Termination in Violation of Public Policy (Tameny Claim)
California Causes of Action overflows with thousands of citations to governing California cases, statutes, rules and jury instructions, to help speed your research. The sample Complaints will dramatically cut your drafting time, and allow you to work more efficiently and productively.